1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Airgun Universe, you are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be visible. Registration is free, quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to join in. Click here to register.

1/2 unf female to a slip on AA S400 silencer

Discussion in 'Airgun Chat' started by William Tell, Jul 30, 2017.

1. William Tell

William Tell Master Poster

Sensible suggestion, I'll try that Keith.

On a glass top the Herman rolled with just the slightest rise and fall just a knats though.
    The Whisper was dead straight and is also about 25 mm longer than Herman.
    The end on the Herman thickness wise is more chunky than the Whisper so the two faces screw up better. The Whisper though has an extra baffle like a coned air filter in the barrel end, which is removable to swap for separate mail female push fit adaptors, which come supplied. Though I did need to fit two O rings on the Whisper to stop it from undoing from the two silencer joins instead of at the barrel adaptor.

Both retail about the same price £57. Though the Herman is supplied from BAR for £45. I bought the Whisper from Churchills for £35 which was the 180. A second size the 130 Whisper is also available from Deben @ £35, so mine was a bargain. The adaptor from Best Fittings are £22.50 free post. They fit flush and very neatly, though they do need an extra O ring not supplied.
    You can slip off the O ring from the barrel cap and refit onto the adaptor. I bought extras in the three different sizes required from Hayley's Electrical about thirty for £2.50.

I think the silencer on a 97 idea is well worth the hassle and expense. Far better than the Herman dedicated 97 silencer that screws straight on the existing silencer. You don't have to keep swapping end caps and silencer over, just a screw on standard female silencer.

One more point before I forget the POI with the Herman was a lot lower, one full mill dot. No drop but higher with the Whisper. How do you reckon that!
    I'm sticking with the Whisper even though it's two DB's louder and longer.
    A buddy of mine wants one!

pellet fancier likes this.
  2. Coypu Hunter

Coypu Hunter Site Owner Staff Member

If you find that the silencer is a bit too long, try the A-Tec Wave 22LR silencer. Much shorter than the HW jobby, by a good three inches, Matron, and just as quiet (i.e. completely silent) on my PCP.

I tried a Best Fittings adapter plus silencer on my 97K running at 13fpe, and the sound meter I used could tell no difference. Mind you, I have fitted DIY baffles in the 97's silencer (which was just an empty expansion chamber as delivered).

3. William Tell

I'll Keep an eye open for one of those jobbies Keith.
    When I removed the end cap from my .22 the insides had already been tampered with.
    I had completely forgotten I had done the modification. Sound proof paper, curler and the spring. Emily, Cambridge 1st smarty pants a pro musician plays in the Brat's band used her metre which she uses in theatres for sound test's.

The noise difference is unmistakably quieter with the silencer. Much more pleasant to plink with very little action noise.
    Roland and I did did a bit of 60 yard target test better groups with the silencer Fred. Also JSB express 4.52 are far better, group wise at 60 yards than AA Diablo 4.52. In my gun they were anyway.

4. William Tell

You boring lot of old wet Fannies!

What's the most boring plinky subject in the whole world?
    Apparently, its silence.
    Bin testing more silence ERS this time a Webley QGS OR Q TIPS or whatever Fred!!

Far far 4x4 by far the best. Nice big flat end for moist contact. Most contact.
    Female screw in Fred. Noticeably quieter than the Whisper and for the same money Shirley, as Deben crap a total bargain. Three section strip, massive slapper sized shaved exit hole. Don't Tell folk I told you!! " Huggett Milbro Jobby is the same" the screw on thread length goes up to your elbow no worries there Bruce.

Only gripe is the finish, it's not bakerlight like a Daystate frying pan, but sought of powder coated forgot the over coat fini..
    To touch it, is to mark it Terrence.

pellet fancier and rmb like this.
  5. Coypu Hunter

The A-Tec Wave and SAK .22LR silencers work very well on air rifles too, and are much shorter than the Weihrauch jobby. The SAK is also easy to take apart and clean. Put 'em on your shopping list... :alert:

6. One Shot Willie

One Shot Willie Professional Poster Gold Donor

Second the SAK....Twinks work well too :thumbsup:

pellet fancier and Coypu Hunter like this.
  7. William Tell

Cheers Keith and Bill
    I'm all fanny'd out now as far as silencers are concerned. Having a big wide long jobby hasn't been a problem outside of my Speedos at a Volley ball beech party.
    If however as folk often say, a short jobby is as good, I would be surprised. It's like plinking a completely different kind of springy.
    The biggest surprise! Not, no change of " I " but the results of with and without Fred.
    Much smaller tight little groups with.

8. Coypu Hunter

Yup, they act as air strippers, reducing the turbulent air that exits the muzzle around the pellet. :thumbsup:

pellet fancier and William Tell like this.
  9. Manthing

Manthing Moderator Staff Member Platinum Donor

The Parker Hale one on the Ultra is very effective.

10. William Tell

It's not raining now Roland!!

Sorry, you can't use a lovely silencer on your clanker .
    Last night it stopped for a mo so I plinked.
    Absolutely no wind, target holes were a singularity. In the singular. Top Hole!
    Not the fat Greek singer.

11. rmb

rmb Professional Poster Platinum Donor

Poss Wednesday John.

12. William Tell

Lovely, can't do Friday.

13. Coypu Hunter

Strewth, get a room... :rolleyes:

14. William Tell

Room for three !!
    Top and bottom, lovely.

You can pull my under lever if I can pull your'n Fred.

15. William Tell

The conclusion.
    Forget what I said about the Webley QGS the other jobby is far better.
    Loads of Fannying and disappointments with consistent groups until I found the correct O ring size which is critical. Silly little thing like that.
    The adaptors don't come supplied with an O ring so no surprise the jobby supplied on the OE end cap is the only size that is right. Even though it seemed too small. Bought some spares today and the size written on the packet is 18x1.5 without the ring it's hopeless. Another essential O ring is for the adaptors thread. Makes all the difference. Just happens to be the same size as the under carriage lever jobby.
    Different to stated in the saved thread bit which is too big is this, correct for both adaptor and under lever BS012 9.5m/m 1/0 x 1.78m/m as written on the packet.

Like this morn leaking in the garden without fully removing my knob and wetting my white tight trousers round my crutch, without these two O rings you pissing down your leg.