1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Airgun Universe, you are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be visible. Registration is free, quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to join in. Click here to register.

Webley tracker problem

Discussion in 'Accessories, Maintenance, Repair & Modifications' started by Billy Boy, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Hi.
    Just finished tuning my tracker. Polished bearing surfaces on piston. Fine emery and polish to cylinder walls. Rear spring damper had crumbled and was everywhere inside, so flushed and cleaned.
    Removed old seal, but when I put new one on, the piston would just drop into the cylinder under its own weight! So I cleaned and lightly polished the old one. Which by the way was conical , and not parallel sided like the new one?
    When I chronograph tested, I had managed to LOOSE 60fps with most pellets?!
    I am worried that I have removed too much metal from the cylinder walls or material from the old washer. Are there any slightly over size seals available (tx200?) That easily fit on?
    Thanks.

pellet fancier and Coypu Hunter like this.
  2. Coypu Hunter

Coypu Hunter Site Owner Staff Member

The most important element, as you seem to have realised, is the diameter of the seal. If the old seal is a good fit -- i.e. the piston drops slowly into the chamber under its own weight, and stops if you put your finger over the transfer port -- then a slight change to the piston diameter won't matter. The seal will flare out under pressure anyway.

However, two other factors may be affecting the velocity. First, if you took a significant amount of metal off the piston, then its weight will have reduced. Sounds like you only gave it a light polish though, so that shouldn't be a factor. If there's more twang now due to lateral piston movement, you can always sleeve it.

Second: the rear washer will have been providing some preload for the spring. If you can replace it with a washer of similar diameter, that should restore some of the velocity. If that's not enough, you can put a washer or two behind the piston head & in front of the spring, to bring the speed up again.

3. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

pellet fancier likes this.
  4. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Thanks for the reply Hunter. I did replace the rear washer and thought that would up the fps. But alas ,no.
    I still puzzle over why the 'original' seal was flared slightly and the ones currently on sale are parallel sided and fractionally narrower?
    I may buy a Tx200 one and take it from there.
    Thanks.

5. Coypu Hunter

Different production versions of the Tracker may have had slightly different internal specs. Some research might throw up the details. Chambers and John Knibbs in the UK stock loads of spare parts and are very helpful -- an email to them might produce some useful input.

6. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Thanks again. I will let you know what happens.

7. pellet fancier

pellet fancier Veteran Poster

Is the TX one the same design & size of the Webley?

Coypu Hunter likes this.
  8. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Hi Pellet fancier.
    I have read on forums of people using it as a direct replacement, without modifications.
    I will soon find out as one is winging it's way in my direction.
    The one I took out is a very hard nylon type material with no give or flex, and slightly conical,with the narrower section facing forward. The replacement one was parallel sided and still very hard.
    I removed the loading tap seal last night and found it had thinned in parts. That can't be helping. But I have replaced it on the port to see how velocity is with the new TX seal. I have some new ones coming and will fit accordingly.

9. pellet fancier

pellet fancier Veteran Poster

I hope it works out for you, all the best.

Coypu Hunter likes this.
  10. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Thanks. I will let you know.

11. Coypu Hunter

Do you have any other rifles to use while the Tracker is out of action? Take a minute to introduce yourself in the Welcome section -- members would be interested to know about your shooting preferences and equipment.

12. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Will do.

13. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Tx200 seal has arrived. It doesn't have a step on the inside so I was perplexed as to how it was going to snap over the lip on the end of the piston! Just about to give up when I inverted the seal on my bench,and pushed the piston down onto the seal. Somehow it snapped into position even without having a step?
    Was going to use silicone grease on the seal sides. Any thoughts on that folks?

14. Coypu Hunter

Use a very thin smear of moly grease. Silicon grease might cause dieselling.

15. Billy Boy

Billy Boy Talker

Right, I'll do that. I thought silicone grease was immune from dieseling.
    I have a large tub of CV moly from the car shop, I'm assuming that is ok?

16. Coypu Hunter

It may be OK, but moly is always recommended as a first choice. So long as there's no petroleum-based ingredients in the moly you have, it should be fine.